CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Help Me, I'm an Emergency Case!

The Empathy module was over, and currently, I'm saving myself from drowning in the First Aid module. Compared to the previous two modules (the torturous Research and the tortuous Empathy), it's kinda like the middle ground. It has the "science" of Research and the "excitement" of empathy. We're going to have lots of lectures, but besides that, we also get to do lots of skill trainings.

So far, and by "far" I mean "two days", I've already got lectures on patient assessment and the prioritized things (AVPU responsiveness, ABC, CPR). I've also had lectures on first aid's legal issues, bleeding and shock, trauma injury, burn, eye emergency, and the last one today was pediatric emergency.

The Burns lecture was ultra fun! The lecturer really put all his energy into his presentation, and we had a good time. Another (unfortunately) memorable lecture was the Eye Emergency for the sheer horror of it. Who knew that an eyeball can be that colorful, or big, or popped? (I stop short of describing punctures in the eye for the sake of my own sanity)

For the skills training, we haven't done much. We only did initial patient assessment, ABC, and checking for vital signs. Well, if it's any consolation, we did head-tilt/chin-lift maneuver, jaw thrust, oropharingeal *stuff* and neck collar. Can't wait for the next sessions!!

0 comments: